[nabs-l] Accessible textbook legislation

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 00:07:04 UTC 2009

I think they won't this time.  Four years ago was a difficult time
for the NFB in Oregon and we were not really a very strong force at
that time.  We're becoming stronger, and honestly I can make a better
case for it than other people have in the past:

Simply put, the public higher education system is going to save money
by the passage of the legislation I intend to propose.  A lot of
money.  One of the smaller public university probably spends
$7-10,000 every term producing electronic textbooks of such low
quality that they are unusable and could/should get them into legal
trouble under section 504.  One of the larger universities in Oregon
probably pays far more.

The publishers can spend a few tens of dollars to save the state
university system many thousands.  Oh, and the quality would be
vastly improved as well.

Joseph