[nabs-l] watch how is your news Sunday night at 10:30FW: MTV Launches Disability News Show

Albert Yoo albertyoo1 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 02:50:48 UTC 2009

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:10:05 -0500From: jfa at aapd.comTo: albertyoo1 at hotmail.comSubject: MTV Launches Disability News Show

MTV Launches News Comedy with Disabled Cast

JFA is a free service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)

In This Issue

TUNE IN: New Comedy with Disabled Cast

Action Alert: Sign Call to Reform Long Term Care

Check it Out: First Ever "Official" DOL Disability Unemployment Stats Available

Action Alert: SAVE Independent Living Funding

New to the Blog: Medication Leads to Cardiac Deaths and Disability in Foreign Policy

TUNE IN: New Comedy with Disabled Cast

"How's Your News?" lets reporters with Down syndrome, Williams syndrome and other mental and physical challenges josh around with Hollywood stars. (Mtv)
>From the Washington Post (Feb. 5, 2009): Disabled Get Last Laugh on MTV's 'News'By Tom ShalesGroups once stigmatized can try to shed the stigma by morphing into a subculture or a "community," or, if politically oriented, a movement.It's happening or has happened with old people, fat people, transsexuals and countless others. In that spirit, MTV's new "How's Your News?" show can be seen not as exploitation of people who have mental disabilities but rather as the expression of a subculture that has much to contribute to the mainstream but never had much of an opportunity. "Can be" is the operative phrase, because some people might still see the half-hour program -- premiering Sunday night -- as some sort of condescending abuse, especially because the executive producers are Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the smart-alecky pair who turned children into foulmouthed cynics with their callous "South Park" cartoon. But "How's Your News?" is clearly not in the "South Park" vein; it's upbeat and moving and the disabled or disadvantaged people who star in the program appear to exert enough control over the content to dispel charges that they're being used...How's Your News? (30 minutes) debuts Sunday night at 10:30 on MTV.
 >>> For More
Comment on the JFActivist Blog: Eager? Anxious? Indignant? Cautious? Hopeful? Proud? How do this story and the prospect of this new show make you feel?  Do you think it will be successful? How does it help or hurt our community? Will you be tuning in?

Action Alert: Sign Call to Reform Long Term Care

*** Join the Virtual Rally ***WHAT: A Call for Medicaid Transformation in the Long Term Care System: End the Institutional Bias NOWWHEN: Tuesday, February 3-Sunday, February 15WHERE: http://www.centerforself-determination.com/signon.html
 Sign the petition for a fundamental restructuring of the long-term care system in the United States. Current federal/state Medicaid financed long-term care is institutionally biased, excessively complex, outdated, overly expensive, provider-driven, and unfair. AAPD and its partners are calling for a shift from the present medically-oriented, institutional first funding to community first, whole health funding by Medicaid.
>>> To sign the Call
>>> For an Executive Summary of the Letter>>> For the Full Text of the Call>>> For the Long Version of the Plan: The Perfect Storm

Check it Out: First Ever "Official" DOL Disability Unemployment Stats Available

Check it out: The first ever "official" DOL unemployment rate for people with disabilities will be released on Friday, February 6, 2009 at 8:30. This data is the result of the US Census' monthly Current Population Survey (CPS) which collected the labor force data for people with a disability on behalf of the US Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and the Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).  Look for the data at http://www.bls.gov/cps/home.htm#notices on Friday morning, Feb. 6, 2009.

MODERATOR, Sarah Peterson, JUSTICE FOR ALL -- A Service of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD).
To respond to a JFA email, submit an article, or contact the moderator, email her at jfa at aapd.com.

ACCESSIBILITY: To request to receive a text-only version of this and every JFA newsletter rather than the html version, please contact the moderator at jfa at aapd.com.

DISCLAIMER: The JFA listserv is designed to share information of interest to people with disabilities and promote dialogue in the disability community. Information circulated does not necessarily express the views of AAPD. The JFA listserv is non-partisan.

JFA ARCHIVES: All JFA postings from 1995 through October 2007 are available on the AAPD website. Archives of news and other articles featured on JFA since October 2007 are available by category and date on the JFActivist blog.

Share JFA

Quick Links

Join AAPD
JFActivist BlogDonate

Action Alert: SAVE Independent Living Funding

>>> For the Full Action Alert

Update: There is a group of Senators that are seriously talking about cutting the VR appropriation in the Stimulus Bill which INCLUDES the IL funding. The Senate is busy cutting programs from the bill today and should vote on the bill today or tomorrow! Democratic leaders still want the measure ready for President Obama's signature before February 16. Congress Needs to Hear from You Right Now: Persuade your Senator to keep IL funding in the stimulus bill. Tell them your Center will use the funds to hire critically needed employees to help people with disabilities gain employment opportunities.The Senators we need to target IMMEDIATELY to change their minds. Nelson, Nebraska Bayh, Indiana Bennet, Colorado Begich, Alaska Conrad, North DakotaLandreiu, LouisianaLincoln, Arkansas Lieberman, ConnecticutShaheen, New Hampshire Tester, Montana Udall, ColoradoUdall, New Mexico Warner, VirginiaWebb, VirginiaCarper, Delaware Klobuchar, Minnesota McCaskill, MissouriSelect the name to send an email.

Also New to the JFActivist Blog:

Medication Linked to Cardiac Deaths: A press release from the Department of Health and Human services reports use of atypical antipsychotic drugs increases risk of sudden cardiac death in adults.
>>> For More

Clinton Speaks on the Role Disability Rights will have in Foreign Policy: In a town hall meeting with State Department personnel this Wednesday (Feb. 4, 2009), Secretary of State Hillary Clinton answered questions about the roll that disability rights should play in foreign policy.
>>> For the Transcript

Forward email

This email was sent to albertyoo1 at hotmail.com by jfa at aapd.com.

Email Marketing by
American Association of People with Disabilities | 1629 K Street, NW | Suite 503 | Washington | DC | 20006