[nabs-l] How you read, Braille or voice

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 00:29:47 UTC 2009

Antonio,

I would argue that being literate and being informed are two distinct
and separate things.  I know many people who are literate and yet
blissfully unaware of a great many things.

Contrarily, I know a few people who seem to be pretty well informed,
and yet I would question their literacy.  You've encountered some of
them on these NFB lists, actually--but I know others who are sighted
whose literacy I also question.

Literacy to my mind connotes both the ability to read and the ability
to write.  While it is true that reading can take many forms, those
forms of reading that involve the spoken word do not generally assist
in writing.

Consider, how many very intelligent people on these lists use
spellings indicative of working almost entirely with speech rather
than access to the written word in a way that includes some form of
letter-sound correspondence.  Or for that matter, how many posters to
these lists write their messages as single long paragraphs?  These
types of errors negatively impact what others' think of them,
particularly if those others do not use a screen reader to access
their world.

Some of the people I'm thinking of are undeniably brilliant, so that
is truly a shame.  The sighted world judges by appearance.  If we are
going to compete on equal terms in the sighted world in any way that
includes written communication, we must learn to write in a way that
is meant to be read with the eye, rather than heard with the ear.

This to me is why literacy is more than just reading and the ability
to hear and understand an audio book or access the contents of a
website through a screen reader is simply not enough.

Joseph