[nabs-l] Finally done at training center

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Wed Feb 18 03:49:55 UTC 2009

Hello Jen,

Thank you for your update. It sounds like the people at the Carroll Center
were Accomodating, and even resourceful in training you. Now you have some
of the basics of daily living, and blindness-related techniques.

You are wondering what will be your next step, and I have a few words of
encouragement.

First, the next steps, and the general direction you give your life is
exactly that--the direction you, the one who will live it, will decide to go
towards. There will be challenges, and there will be nay-sayers. People will
tell you how you can't do this or that because you are in a wheel chair,
besides being blind, and if blindness weren't enough to limit you, you have
to contend with not knowing where you are going, and not being able to find
your way there. But I think you know better, and only you can prove these
people wrong.

First it might mean you insist on serving the family brekfest on sunday
morning. Then you might decide you want the responsibility of grocery
shopping for the entire family. Next you can pick a cleaning chore thought
to be impossible, and the next thing you know you have the practice, and
your parent's confidence that you are capable, and willing to venture out on
your own. This venturing out might happen in concert with a college
graduation, so that you are trained and employed in your field of choice,
and have the needed support of your parents for the things you do need help
with.

When it comes to shopping, you can go on

www.peapod.com

a service I use in Rhode Island and would be willing to teach you. The
peapod driver will deliver your groceries right to your kitchen counter on
the day and time you specify. If you need to be familiar with peapod,
contact me privately, and we can go over it on the phone, or in person. Once
you learn, you won't want to go back for too much at a brick and morter
store.

One thing the Carroll Center may not have worked on with you is personal
confidence, but the NFB centers, as good as they may be, do not have a
monopoly on confidence and encouragement. I do find that our membership is
rich in kind encouragement, inspiration, and some times the perverbial
well-deserved kick in the --- to jumpstart one's motivation. We
independence-minded, empowerment-guided members have been through, and are
going through some of the same struggles that the nauvice faces. We've been
there, and are usually willing to share the wealth. and wealth we have, in
information, resourcefulness, ingenuity, and more.

Don't hesitate to turn to your blind family for guidance, and your close by
NFB friends for individualized tips and tricks.

Sincerely yours,

Antonio Guimaraes
Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall