[nabs-l] How you read, Braille or voice

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Feb 18 20:11:49 UTC 2009

Hi.

Here is my measuring stick in regards to literacy. Is a sighted person
deemed literate if she or he only reads via speech? In other words, is
a sighted person literate if he or she doesn't know how to read print?
I personally would say no. I would further add that my feelings on
literacy are easily translated to Braille and its role in a blind
person's tool kit. Does that mean that using audio material is bad? No.
Of course not. The sighted are beginning to understand the value of
audio access in their daily lives just as we have. And for us, audio
has been a large part to our access to material since Braille has been
in such short supply in comparison to print. Since we now have
unprecedented access to electronic material, it's up to the reader as
to which should be used: Braille or audio. increasingly, the same
choice is being granted to the sighted reader.  in short, i don't think
using audio is selling out. However, I do believe that it's easier to
be lazy and not read when reading for oneself might be the best option,
and that goes for anyone blind or sighted. What troubles me most about
the literacy debate for the blind is that audio access is being used as
an excuse not to teach or learn Braille. That to me, is the real
travesty. It sounds to me like you use Braille. If you're frustrated
with your reading speed, you're certainly welcome to improve it just as
is anyone (blind or sighted). The Braille literacy campeign isn't about
restricting access to a person's chosen reading methods. It's about
making sure that Braille isn't denied to students based on the ease of
access to audio materials or visual acuity or any other reason. When a
population's literacy rate is as low as ours, there's good reason to
man the baracades and get busy fighting for the right to read. After
all, this matter of choice is a non-issue if a person has no access to
Braille, right?