[nabs-l] Introduction

Jason Mandarino blind.subscriber at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:40:18 UTC 2009

Hey Albert,

I am intrigued by a part of your message to Jessica. You were asking if
whether she was thinking about specializing in Braille or computer training.
Outside of college programs such as the Commission for the Blind, I have
never met a computer instructor for the visually impaired. Are there such
things for grade school students that are visually impaired?

I only ask for technology was quite the fight for me in grade school, and
the RESA system hat provided the Brail and mobility instructors were not
very helpful in the technology arena. I had to find alternative means to
obtain what I wanted, but that also meant having to train myself as well.

The technology learning curve can be steep, and I would like to see more
access to practical resources for upcoming youth. I did not find the
computer classes that my public high school offered to be any help, and
unless you have the interest to invest endless hours into learning new
software or hardware, you will be ineffective compared to your sighted
peers.

Sincerely,

Mandarino