[nabs-l] Introduction: T. Joseph and Jessica and All

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 17:20:26 UTC 2009

Greetings Joseph and Jessica and all,

The NOPBC is creating new links and pages for our website. I have found that
early on for parents they find it beneficial and supportive to connect to
information about others with the same eye condition causes as their child.
I have had an unusually high (nearly a stampede) of families with children
who have albinism this past fall. In every case the families had been told
their child was either not "blind enough" to receive services at all beyond
some magnification or at least no Braille or cane services. Most of the
families had gotten previous information from NOAH which was very
discouraging towards Braille and cane use the use of the word blind.

In creating pages for parents on similar eye conditions I am getting a
section on albinism. I am putting up "letters" to parents from people who
are already raising successfully (with non-visual techniques) a child with
albinism and blindness with low vision and also from people who have this
condition themselves. Additionally I have become aware of some of the unique
experiences to albinism with no pigment that those who have it experience
from the public. I hope either or both of you would consider writing a
personal feel "letter to a parent" (no longer than two pages)about your
experiences growing up and how you coped with these issues. If you are
interested please email me offlist at carrie.gilmer at gmail.com for details.

Any others: people who have gone through cancer treatments, prosthetic eyes,
eyes that have scarring and may have been teased from the appearance of the
eye, really any and all eye conditions that exist...including unknowns and
accident, I hope to have a page for each with personal experiences. If
anyone wishes to contribute please email me privately for more specific
details on how we want the letters written.

Sincerely,

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc