[nabs-l] Is any one on the list trying the American Association People with disabilities internship for the summer?

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:21:27 UTC 2009

Happy to -- Before I do, though, I should point out that the
internship is not just the product of the American Association of
People with Disabilities. It's funded by the Mitsubishi Electric
America Foundation, who sponsors lots of programs for inclusion of
youth with disabilities. It's because of their support that you
receive a $1,500 stipend plus housing plus airfare for the
summer...not a bad gig at all!

I worked for Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton...the powerful, friendly,
and eloquent Senator from New York, at least for a few more days. All
Congressional offices are set up differently, but I'll give my
account. For the first few days and weeks, Senator Clinton's interns
are assigned to different projects rather than focused. This is used
by the staff to see where folks best fit. Hint for anyone applying for
internships: be ready for this question on your first day, "Where do
you want to focus your work and what do you want to learn from it?" A
strong yet concise answer tends to get you that position. I wanted to
work with her press team, and that's where I ended up. Most of our
work was "intern-like," for my team it was cutting press clips and
scanning them into an archive system...I worked in July and they were
backlogged from March!...but there were some exciting times, like
transcribing comments on the floor of the Senate or in committees. I
also gave Capitol Tours, something that my boss said I didn't have to
do if it was troublesome, but I did it and was glad that I did --
those tours were some of the best times for I had the chance to teach
constituents about the legislative process...even some from Britain,
who were impressed that I knew their system well enough to make
comparisons! Anyway -- the experiences are what you make of them; go
in being dedicated and focused, and you'll take a lot away. Ask
questions when you can, and invite staff to lunch or find random
staffers in the cafeteria...some of the best conversations that I had
with Hill staffers were ones that I randomly found at lunchtime. Other
interns, though, didn't have as great of an experience because they
waited for the staff to assign them projects and didn't seek them out;
folks waited until they were "good enough" sorting mail to ask to move
on, yet by then it was too late. Sure, do what they ask you to do, but
be ready to jump up when somebody needs an intern...maybe it's running
a silly errand--like buying stamps--or maybe it's taking a statement
to the floor, or--as my co-press intern found one day--it was
escorting the Senator and her bags to her office. It's an action-
packed place on the Capitol, and with the majority skewed more than in
the 110th Congress, more is likely to happen...as opposed to last
year's appropriations bills that died on the floor.

If anybody is applying, please let me know off list and I'm happy to
be a resource to you.
Corbb

-----
Corbb O'Connor
The George Washington University '10
B.A. Political Communication & Economics