[nabs-l] iTunes music on Victor Stream

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 20:23:13 UTC 2009

Tai,

They will be in the same format as "iTunes Plus" music is right now--just
AAC without encryption.  You can rip your own music to the same format.
Apple doesn't use mp3 because its AAC format is smaller for the same music
quality.  A 256 kbps AAC file easily rivals a 320 kbps constant bitrate
(CBR) mp3, and is smaller than 320 kbps variable bitrate (VBR) files.

Apple is heavily invested in the fact that people use iTunes to put music
on iPods, and few competition players support AAC.  Don't expect them to
give that up, especially when they have the technological advantage.

Joseph