[nabs-l] course compass

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 19:00:34 UTC 2009

Hi Cindy,

I don't know a thing about Course Compass, but your situation
definitely sounds frustrating and unfortunate. If a lot of NABS
members are having problems this might be an issue we'll want to
address as an organization with Course Compass and/or JAWS (for
scripting, etc.)

The most equitable solution is probably to hire either a reader or a
private tutor depending on how much help you think you'll need with
learning the material. If you are understanding the concepts pretty
well from the lectures a reader to simply tell you what is on the
screen may be all you need, but if you want to get more conceptual
assistance a tutor (either paid or volunteer through your academic
support center) may be more appropriate.

Alternatively, if you're short on funds and it's not easy to secure
reader money from rehab, you can see if your professor would be
willing to send you the homework questions in an MS-Word file, and
then meet with your prof or TA (if there is one) during their office
hours to go over conceptual issues. Most professors love to work with
students one-on-one and professor office hours are generally an
underused resource. You  probably won't be able to use your professor
as a reader for every assignment, but if the prof can send you the
questions and then be there to provide instruction should you  need
it, this can be very workable.

Teaching assistants are another overlooked source of assistance.
Usually TA's are graduate students in the field they teach (in this
case, math) who get paid by the department to help students and take
care of administrative details. They also hold office hours and are
getting compensated to help students with things, so you won't
inconvenience your TA unduly if you make an appointment with him/her
to go over material. TA's may also be willing to convert the homework
assignments into formats you  can use. When I took advanced statistics
at the undergrad level, my TA helped me with learning computer
programs and converting tables from the textbook into a format that I
could use. Many TA's are happy to help not just because it's their
job, but because it gives them more experience with teaching.

This isn't directly related to Cindy's question, but sometimes TA's
can also serve as good readers for exams if you're having trouble
getting permission to use your own readers. TA's have to be around on
test day, but often have nothing really to do during the test itself,
making them available to read. The good thing about using a TA as a
reader is that the TA is familiar with the material and can describe
diagrams, charts, etc. accurately. Yet it's often not as
nerve-wracking as using the professor as a reader especially if the TA
isn't grading your test.

Arielle