[nabs-l] NLS Flash Book Program

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Sun Jan 18 08:07:40 UTC 2009

Night owls unite!
Sorry ... I couldn't resist.

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Brice Smith
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:55 AM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] NLS Flash Book Program

The stream is an awesome investment, but my understanding is that the
NLS player would be provided for free to those patrons who ask for or
need it, kind of like the tape recorders or old record players the
library already loans (loaned?)

It's a decent option for those who can't aford or don't want to buy a
stream, and it can play mp3 files. I've looked at the unit.
also, I think there are two different versions, one which is slightly
more advanced than the other. the basic unit will be available to
patrons, while the other, more advanced model which I think has more
playback control and really nice extra options will be available to
patrons who show a need. Of course, I'm pulling all of this out of my
head from a conversation at a tech expo, and it's 3:00 in the morning,
so I'm really straining here to remember details. But I'd keep it in
mind.

<rmlambert1987 at yahoo.com>wrote:

>> Has anyone received an ounce of information regarding the circulation of
>> the new flash players? If I turn in my overdue one dozen books that I
>> never
>> got around to reading (and probably won't thanks to being back in the
>> school
>> books), I want to turn in my C-1 as well. I noticed the User's Guide of
>> the
>> Victor Reader Stream makes mention of the NLS Flash Cartridge accessory,
>> so
>> I'm wondering if that's available for purchase. I'm also trying to decide
>> on
>> the Victor Stream or NLS's own player. Any information on this would be
>> appreciated. Thanks. :)

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/blindhistory%40gmail
.com

> --