[nabs-l] netbook replacing notetakers

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 19:40:12 UTC 2009

My opinion is that they will not. Like others have said, notetakers take less time to boot up than does a laptop, plus for those of us using braille it's a lot easier to pull one device out ofthe backpack to put on the desk. In addition to that, you can guarantee that you won't have to plug in any time during class, and that's often a bonus as plugs aren't always readily available. With that said, I can't use my pacc mate as my primary device, either. I'm still working with 4.1 because all I use it for is a notetaker, andi find it slow online compared to my laptop and there are many other things like formatting which i have found much easier with a full laptop/desktop. But I never think, at least for class settings, that I would ever go back to a laptop without a braille display like i had in high school, I've gotten too used to working without speech in class, andseing things instantly. I think those are reasns enough, even though I am working with the QX version and could switch to a keyboard easily. That's because I can type much faster than i can braille, since I adopted the computer early on in my life.