[nabs-l] backpacks are unprofessional?

Martha Harris latinanewschic at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 04:39:06 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,
I'm a journalism major; as part of our magazine production, we have to go out in to the community to sell ads, talk to Lions Clubs, have tables at local events, ETC. We have two conditions: dress professionally, and don't wear a backpack. I totally understand the dress professionally, but what do you all think about backpacks? Do they make us look too much like students and not professionals, and if so, why? As a blind student, would I not be taken seriously because "she doesn't know that everyone else has different bags?" or something like that?
Personally, I prefer the backpack. It is painful to have the strap of a messenger bag, satchel, or large purse on my left shoulder with the bag on the right side of my body, and having the strap on my right shoulder with the bag hanging on the left gets in the way of my hand with the dog. Our professor says that since our target audience is permanent residents between 35 and 55 years old who live in the two surrounding counties and not students like the traditional college magazine, we shouldn't look like we come from the university when we go into the town. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Martha