[nabs-l] NABS Leadership Update

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 18:36:17 UTC 2009

Arielle and all of NABS,

I've heard more than a few rumblings about it already, and I am not
sure the board should try to address them:  The NABS election was a
complete and total fiasco lacking even the appearance of integrity.
A number of people are really unhappy about it, and some are talking
about taking action.

I feel a need to say, "Don't do it, please."  I know some of you to
be good students and good advocates both fro this organization and
for the blind in general.  If those of you I don't know are of the
same caliber, then you may turn fiasco into tragedy.  Think about the
possible outcomes first.

Either you will find widespread support, or you will not.  If the
latter, you face marginalization and feelings of disenfranchisement
greater than you already feel.  That will drive you away from the
organization for certain.  Perhaps I am being a bit selfish here, but
NABS and the NFB need _you_, and I'd rather not have you fall away
over something as transitory as a single problematic election.

If you do garner widespread support, the tragedy will be larger
still: The organization would faction into those who support the
incoming board and those who oppose the process that elected them,
with a lot of people who want to do both feeling caught in the
middle.  There's no faster way to ensure more controversial elections
than to go down this road.

So .. what do you do?  I made my decision before the election was
even over: I'm going to support the incoming board, and I'm going to
encourage (read: make a pain in the rear end of myself) the board to
act boldly and with integrity on behalf of blind students.

I also intend to similarly encourage (read the same way) that only
registered members vote, and that each registrant gets one vote.  I
can't claim to have a simple and brilliant solution here yet because
I can't figure out how to handle runoff elections quickly and cleanly
yet.  The curious know my email address.  *smile*

Joseph

P.S. I considered suggesting the Condorcet method, but I decided not
to propose anything that required calculating a square root to figure
out who wins the election.