[nabs-l] Behavior of Membership

Briley Pollard brileyp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 02:19:37 UTC 2009

Hello all,

While I do not disagree with the idea of a nominating committee, lets
all remember that the institution of one would not decrease the
popularity aspect of the elections. Elections by their very nature are
popularity contests, and while perhaps the fear of "stacking the
board" is legitimate on some levels, the behavior of many people last
weekend did not speak highly of the divisions ability to hold fully
democratic elections. New students atend these business meetings every
year, and I know for a fact that many are driven away by the chaos
that surrounds the elections.

As for the behavior  of the students during the other presentations, I
was likewise embarrassed. It is a business meeting, and the presenters
deserved respect that they were not given the majority of the time.

I would like to note, however, that the meeting did not get off to a
very good start. The process for entry was chaotic, to put it mildly,
and did not set a good tone for the meeting. It was very disorganized,
and there was no reason it should have been so. Busy perhaps, but
nothing like that.

On a positive note, the program was interesting, and hearing from past
presidents was very motivating.

-Briley