[nabs-l] NABS Leadership Update

Diana Mohnke mohnked at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 13 23:15:05 UTC 2009

Antonio and others,

It was Angela Wolf, former president of NABS that stood up and had us step back, take a breathe and relax.  I believe she had the right to do this because the atmosphere of the room was getting hasty and I believe we needed to do this.  While it is important and valuable to hear what everyone has to say, having everyone try and talk at once does not work.  It was sad to see some students not respect our president or other speakers while they were talking.  This made it very difficult during elections.  It may be that you have not seen some of your friends since last convention or Washington Seminar, you need to remember you are sitting in a meeting.  If you want to catch up or hold a conversation you should be polite to others and go in the hallway and talk.  And if you go in the hallway, do not just stand by the doors, step away and hold your conversation.  This year each ballroom in the hotel had a large foyer area in which conversations such as this could take place.

As for the elections, I felt the vote cards did help some.  This helped in knowing who had registered and who had not.  I feel it would help if the person in charge of running elections to brush up on Robert’s Rules and give out instructions before elections begin.  I also think it is the responsibility of the person in charge of the elections to be the person deciding when to cut off someone who is speaking who is running.  Giving them a warning before there time is up could allow that person to finish his thoughts instead of stopping mid air.  It seemed that people in the audience felt they had the authority to yell out time to a nominee who was speaking.  It might be helpful to assign one person to keep time if the person running elections needs assistance and to not have just several people yell time.

As for learning how elections run, just look at how elections were conducted during national convention.  Or take note of how it is done within your own state during state convention.  Elections are always going on during a state convention.

With all of the side conversations going on during elections, it was confusing as to who was speaking after being nominated.  It may be helpful that even if the person running elections not only says the nominee’s name but the nominee restate their name so there is no confusion.  Many times I had to ask around me who was speaking.

I am sure there are many other ways in which to improve the election process but these are my thoughts.  I do believe that not holding side conversations can be the number one thing that can improve the process immensely.  Then the person running the elections does not have to be challenged by those talking in the audience.

Diana Mohnke