[nabs-l] living in a sighted world

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 05:38:00 UTC 2009

I think that the attitude towards those with disabilities is a
combination of ignorance and prejudice. For the most part I would like
to believe that it is simply ignorance, but I know some people just
don't like those with disabilities because they're different. I am
currently working for an assistive tech company where I feel like I am
teaching my sighted peers something new on a more regular basis than I
should be. I also am helping them with social media, and people say
the dumbest things on twitter, which makes me frustrated. I think the
best thing we can do is educate people as much as possible, and
encourage people to think outside of the box they live in. I am glad
to hear that you had such a good conversation with someone on a plane.
I find that the people who are enquisitive about how I do things tend
to be the most open minded about accepting that people with
disabilities can learn to do almost anything with the right training
and modifications.

--
Alena Roberts
Blog: http://www.blindgal.com/