[nabs-l] FW: testing accomidation question

pajohns1 at vt.edu pajohns1 at vt.edu
Tue Jul 28 20:06:51 UTC 2009

Jim,

        I hope folks post their responses to the list and include Jim in the
cc.  I wonder why extra-time is needed on a take home comprehensive exam.
As a graduate student it is my responsibility to be able to quickly recall
large amounts of data quickly and accurately.  To do this I spent many long
hours organizing and rewriting notes in the process developing a system to
quickly locate related data.  This is time intensive and often quite frankly
was boring beyond belief.  It required sacrifices, but what really is more
important than passing one's comps or final exam??  For me at least all the
long hours paid off in that by the time I saw my comp questions I already
had a basic answer planned and could spend my time finding supporting
material and citations.

        Since the comprehensive exam covers material already covered in
previous courses I strongly suspect a fair number of hints have been dropped
on what is and what isn't important.  Also, there is the grapevine of
students who have already taken and passed the exam.  Ask them about the
nature and type of questions to be asked.  I'd even go so far as to ask the
profs for suggestions on what to focus on in my preparation.

        It has been my experience having successfully passed three
comprehensive exams that my profs wanted to ensure I knew the material and
fairly acess me on the topics covered.  They never asked a question which
hadn't been extensively covered in one of my core courses.

        Grad school is hard, no question about it, and it is even harder
being blind, but it is by no means impossible.  Buckle down, start early,
and study hard.  It can be done, there are enough of us on this list with
multiple advanced degrees to prove it.

Patrick