[nabs-l] operating system query

clinton waterbury clinton.waterbury at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:10:53 UTC 2009

Linux with the gnome desktop looks a bit like windows accept for the
fact that the drives you put on the computer mount to the desktop...
or...  what would be the desktop, so you don't really need to put
icons on the desktop.  Gnome has the following menus.
1 applications.
2 places
3 system, and probably another ouple of menus I might be forgetting.
The mac is basicly payed linux made easy, but the curnal is bsd unix,
but in the terminal window it looks like linux.  The mac desktop
consists of the computer's internal harddrive, whitch is automaticly
mounted at bootup.  The mac looks more like windows than linux though,
as you have the dock, or, taskbar or tart menu.  You don't really put
things on the desktop other than otherdrives that get mounted to it.
With the mac, you go into the main harddrive folder and go into the
applications folder, and select the application you want to open.  You
can also put other commonly used applications on the dock just by
going to it and arrowing to the application and pressing down arrow
till you find keep in dock.
Another diference with mac is that you pretty much never have to use
command line.  Installations of applications are quite easy.  Just
open the dmg file it came in, coppy the dot app file, and then go the
the applications folder and paste it.
Linux on the other hand you have to use command line quite a bit when
installing some applications like servers.
If you have any other questions, feel free to email me off list, and
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.