[nabs-l] Non-Traditional Students

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 2 05:17:04 UTC 2009

Hello Liz,

    And don't forget those non-traditional students. Non-traditional
students can be anyone from someone who decides to return to school later in
life, or who suddenly finds himself/herself thrust in to a learning
situation as Mary and I did this past weekend when Our AT&T Uverse was
installed. Believe me it's been a classic total immersion and
Structured-Discovery Learning experience at its best. My wife never dreamed
that by marrying me she would one day learn about Power Over Ethernet,
(POE.) Since her computer is at the opposite end of our apartment to avoid
running CAT-5 Cables everywhere to connect it to the Uverse Gateway her
machine was connected to the gateway via the existing power lines  in the
building. POE makes this possible by tapping the unused wire pairs of a
CAT-5 Cable to transmit power and data between the gateway and her computer.

    This same technology has other applications one of which is its use in
home automation systems. These are hardware and software systems that allow
one to control various home appliances, entertainment, and security via
their PC or a telephone. Those who attended the 2006 national convention may
remember that there was a demonstration of one such system. All the best for
a great evening.

Peter Donahue