[nabs-l] Kindel DX

sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 3 02:27:21 UTC 2009

Jim and all,

Just as a general rule, politeness is always key. If your questions
sound accusatory, you will lose the respect of your readers or
listeners. Treat every e-mail you send to this list as if a potential
employer were reading it. If there are spelling or grammatical errors,
or if the tone is unkind, the chances are greater you won't get hired.
If you're unsure of spellings, the spellcheck in Microsoft Word is a
great resource. I'm using it as I write to you now. Words such as
relevant, Braille, apologize, and accessible seem to be commonly
misspelled on this list, and there is no reason for it.

I must apologize, as i know I seem to be preachy. It's just that
people are judgmental as it is, and more so when disabilities are
added to the mix. If we expect to be treated equally and as
professionals then we need to act that way. Questions that challenge
the status quo are great but presentation is everything. Resumes or
cover letters with spelling errors will be thrown out without a second
glance. It would be a shame to lose a potential job just because of
something as foolish as one typo.

Again I do feel bad about coming off as a jerk, and I know that it's
hard to convey emotion through writing in e-mails, but I would ask you
to take my concerns to heart. I am a happy person generally, but
become frustrated easily when the blind/visually impaired community
short-changes itself unnecessarily.

Thank you for your time guys. Thank you for allowing me to feel
comfortable enough around you (virtually) that i can write what I've
thought for years with the knowledge that I'm not alone in my thinking.

Sarah