[nabs-l] New iPhone Model Now Accessible to the Blind

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:35:58 UTC 2009

Jess,

"Obligation free" is not the same as "Unlocked".  Genuinely unlocked
phones are available in countries other than the United States, but
you'd have to import one at considerable expense most likely.

If I wind up with an iPhone 3GS, this is likely how it will happen,
but I have little incentive to come up with that kind of cash unless
and until I can be sure that I am buying a factory SIM unlocked
product that may be activated with any carrier worldwide.

This isn't my first foray into the iPhone, or into doing things to
one that Apple and AT&T didn't intend.  *grin*  Have jailbreak, will
travel.  The iPhone dev team has the 3.0 Gold Master and is working
on a jailbreak for 2G and 3G devices with iTunes 8.2.  If they have
an updated yellowsnow unlock for 3G (2G is completely unlocked
already) or a better solution all around, they're keeping a lid on it
until the 3GS enters the wild just in case the 3GS is vulnerable to
the same exploit.

How much of the above will affect blind users, I have no idea.  I've
never tried to use either of the jailbreak tools with VoiceOver even,
but they use enough custom widgets that I don't predict success.  Now
that the phone's got a screen reader, I'll hit up the UI guys and see
if they can add some accessibility hooks to the tools.

Note, Apple doesn't think you should be doing any of this.  If it
breaks, you keep both pieces.

Joseph