[nabs-l] Air Canada challenges deaf, blind man's right to travelalone; Burnaby

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Jun 12 01:47:15 UTC 2009

Beth.

It's history lesson time.

Back in the late 70's through the early 90's, we fought like hell to
assure the rights of the blind in air travel. Our basic fight was over
this lovely thing called "safety." From our point of view, "safety" was
an arbitrary thing that seemed to have no other rhyme nor reason except
to whatever extent an airline official sought to assert their whims.

In the case of emergency exits, some airline officials said we should
sit in emergency exits because we could then get out faster and not
compromise the evacuation process. Others said we shouldn't because we
might compromise the evacuation process. We Federationists were in
strong belief (and still are) that the blind should sit wherever we are
originally assigned unless we have a good reason not to. There came a
time when the FAA decided that blind persons sitting in emergency exits
wasn't safe because we can't see to opperate them or receive visual
instructions from airline staff. We provided tons of reasoned arguments
and evidence clearly showing that we are safe emergency exit
passengers, but the FAA and Congress didn't see it our way.
Consequently, we lost that battle. That is why you now hear directions
stating that one must be able to see and hear instructions. I don't
know what the history of exit row seating for the deaf came to, but I
know that's how ours happened.

I don't know if we're ever going to revisit the issue. Perhaps in due
course as the public gets a little closer to understanding that
blindness need not mean incapacity. Perhaps it'll all just naturally
happen as society evolves. Perhaps not. I hope for the day when I'll be
able to sit where I'm assigned in an aircraft. I hope that one day, I,
like the rest of you, will be seen as capable human beings with
something real to contribute. And I'm not just talking about exits, neither.

Respectfully,
Jedi