[nabs-l] cane travel trip 2

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 07:15:06 UTC 2009

Hey all,
The mobility part is easy, its the orientation part that is going to be hard to master. I decided to wear my sunglasses at night to make it more challenging, I think sunglasses are a good compramize to sleepshades at night, at least for now while Im trying to learn the basics. With the sunglasses on,  I got turned around once, and then overshot my house by two blocks. When I got lost I took off my sunglasses and was able to find my way. I'm still trying to figure out how I got turned around the first time. I ended up heading west when I wanted to go east. I realized my mistake when I was walking past my gym in the wrong direction. If I hadn't passed the gym, I'd be one county over by now.  Oh, by the way, large parking lots are a pain as well. As are streets without sidewalks. and very large sidewalks. and wheel chair accessable curbs that allow you to breeze into the street without knowing your in the street until you run into the curb on the other
 side (I was on quiet residential streets with no traffic at midnight, I was safe).

I did get nervous when I heard some people somewhere near me; a cane make you an awfully big target. I'm a big guy, its not often I feel vulnerable.

Thanks,
Jim

"From compromise and things half done,
Keep me with stern and stubborn pride,
And when at last the fight is won,
... Keep me still unsatisfied." --Louis Untermeyer