[nabs-l] Cane Travel Training: Report Number 1

stacy timberlake guitargirl89 at windstream.net
Fri Jun 12 15:54:36 UTC 2009

    Hey Jim,

I started using a cane about 4 years ago--but I have been lucky enough to
have a lot of O&M training so it is one of my strengths.  Here are a few
tips.

As for orientation--use landmarks whenever possible, and  keep in mind that
even something like the  slope of the ground is a land mark.

For the hot spots and wrist pain-- This is where you need someone who can
give direction.  I use an aluminum cane with a rolling tip everywhere I go,
but  I honestly have never noticed it to be "heavy" in comparison to the NFB
canes (which I have also tried)  I use constant contact sweeping in an arch
(sweeping the cane opposite of the foot that I am stepping with) But the way
that you hold the aluminum canes is TOTALLY different than the way that you
hold the NFB canes.  If you have the cane that I think that you do there is
a flat side to the handle you should point your first finger down that and
wrap your hand around the rest.
Good luck,
Stacy