[nabs-l] cane travel trip 2

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 12 17:47:22 UTC 2009

Jim,
For orientation, a few more comments on landmarks.
Something like the slope of the ground  is a landmark.
With practice you might feel the difference in texture from concrete to
asphalt to indicate its a street.
Landmarks can also be  objects like poles or mail boxes.
Scents help too.  Maybe there's the smell of certain flowers near your home.
Everyone suggests compass directions.  You can try that.  But that didn't
help me too much unless I was walking east or west during the daytime on a
sunny day.
Cardinal directions were just hard to understand.
After high school I had an O M instructor come to my house to pick me up and
practice mobility and get oriented to campus prior to the semester
begginning.  After all in school I wanted to focus on academics not
orientation.  Anyway, she talked about compass directions.  She also talked
about landmarks and listening to traffic for orientation.  She was not in
NFB using structured discovery officially but she was excellent I thought.
I just say this to show that a non NFB instructor can have positive
attitudes and use concepts similar to those NFB instructors have.

Ashley