[nabs-l] Donating Blood/ Plasma

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Jun 14 03:23:43 UTC 2009

FYI to all,

Legally, you cannot be paid to donate blood. It was deemed that, like
organs, it would lead to compromising situations. When you donate plasma to
a plasma center, the plasma is actually used for medical purposes but not
used specifically in hospital settings.  It is used, in many cases, to
manufacture treatments like Factor 8 which is used to treat hemophiliacs.
When you donate blood with the American Red Cross or another blood bank, you
are donating for emergencies and surgeries. Donating is one of the most
philanthropic things you can do.  Blood only lasts, shelf life wise, for 49
days.  However, an individual can donate every 56 days. There is usually a
huge shortage and donors don't donate enough. I used to work for the
Oklahoma Blood Institute. The last I knew only about 5% of the total
population donates.  The hard facts are something like within a persons
lifetime there is an 85% chance that they will need a blood transfusion of
one type or another.

So, please donate your blood and plasma, the stress on donate.

Jeannie Massay