[nabs-l] Prejudice, ignorance, and sighted domination

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 07:19:04 UTC 2009

Arielle,

I may have used the wrong word, but I can't really think of a better word that "prove". Its not like I'm going to be standing there with a checklist making you do tricks, when I say "prove yourself", I am referring to the constant process that goes on throughout society of people acting, and then being judged based on their actions. I am not setting low expectations, I am allowing them to determine where my expectations should be.

Also, by allowing the actions of the blind person to dictate my expectations, many basic questions will be answered in the very first meeting. But don't forget, at the same time I am asking questions about you, you are going to be asking similar questions about me. This is not any form of negitive prejudice, instead, this is just the natural process human beings go through in determining who we want to associate with, be friends with, or have a relationship with.  It is true that I may have a little less confidence in a blind person's ability to do X, but I am still going to give them a chance to do X, and I will judge them accordingly.

For the blind hiking partner example, that "first meeting" I spoke of above would involve me, a blind person, and at least one other person going on a backpacking trip. During the trip, it will naturally become quite clear who can or can't keep up, and who is and isn't capable (sighted or not, were all equal right?). The challenge for the blind person is getting the opportunity to prove yourself in the first place. And that's where prejudice and ignorance can play a role in inhibiting blind people's freedom and opportunities.

Jim

"From compromise and things half done,
Keep me with stern and stubborn pride,
And when at last the fight is won,
... Keep me still unsatisfied." --Louis Untermeyer