[nabs-l] Research Paper Help

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 18 08:47:40 UTC 2009

Hi all, Hope any of you can help me with some information for a research topic on mobility.  It involves a hypothetical question.  What would happen to a visually impaired student on your campus if he or she needed help with orientation and mobility but had no funding from government or social agencies?  Let us say in this example the student already had basic white cane skills, but just needed to have someone walk with them until they had a route planned?  Would the college or university offer direct help?  On my campus, such help is seen as the individual responsibility of the blind student.   It is simply sink or swim if one does not have help or money to pay for it.It was suggested to me that someone who needed help should post a flyer on college bulletin boards.  It just seems to me that is reasonable to think that some member of the college or university could be designated to offer some assistance as a kind of mobility aideto do an initial run through so a student could get to classes each semester.  I have tried to lobby for this in a low key way, but so far my suggestions have fallen on unreceptive ears.   My request for tactile maps has also been seemingly ignored.  Is this similar or not to the situation on your campus?  Thanks for any thoughts, Ginnie