[nabs-l] Research Paper Help

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 18 21:13:25 UTC 2009

Whew!  Are you out of breath, Jim, from some of the hasty conclusions you
jumped to after reading my post? (friendly grin)
 Where to start?  First of all, my research paper will be an informal survey
of what other colleges are doing in the case of students who may not have
funding for even minimal orientation and mobility trainng.  I amtrying to
get perspective on this since it is a real life struggle I am facing.  I
have some funding from the California Department of Rehabilitation for
mobility lessons, but it is limited.  In my case, as a returning student who
is recently totally blind, I have some back problems that make me walk
slowly, in an unsteady way, and I take a long time to get anywhere.  I am
not sure a volunteer would hang with me as I teeter tottered along to get a
little help to get to my classes by planning a route.  And I really need
only a bit of help since I have most of the basic white cane skills down
pat.  I want to save any professional training I am funded for to deal with
busy intersections, since this is my weak point right now.   So my
questions, as kind of a brainstorming thing, are am I the only one facing
this painful situation?  What happens on other campuses?  Is it a reasonable
accomodation to expect a staff memnber at a college to have as his or her
job description being a sometime mobility aide?  And so on.  I agree
research must be approached carefully, but let us not define research too
narrowly.  I have done studies in experimental psychology, as well as open
ended journalistic articles for publication, so I feel grounded in this.
And I hope to find on this list the same kind of support and understanding I
would extend to someone else.  Respectfully, Ginniee----- Original
Message -----