[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 23:41:50 UTC 2009

Mark,

I think you said it all. Your description of NFB's philosophy is why I
usually don't support them. I like you believe in universal accessible
design. If people have misconceptions about what I'm capable of, then
it is my responsibility to show them that they're wrong. Good design
doesn't hurt people.

If all blind people could be given the training they deserve maybe
fewer things would need to be changed, but that's not the case now and
I doubt it ever will. I don't think it's right for anyone to deny
another person the ability to do something because the sighted world
might get the wrong message. Most people lose their vision later in
life and they're either too stubborn to get training, or they don't
know where to turn.

Finally, as I pointed out in my post most "accessible" changes end up
helping people they were never intended to. This says to me that
designing something with lots of people in mind is the best solution.

Thanks for your input, and I hope more people will tell us their opinions.

--
Alena Roberts
Blog: http://www.blindgal.com/