[nabs-l] Prejudice, ignorance, and sighted domination

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Jun 19 00:06:19 UTC 2009

Jim and all:

I think what bothered me ost about Jim's initial message on this topic
was this whole idea of proving oneself. On one hand, Jim did say that
he wouldn't expect a blind person to do tricks for him, but he also at
least cited two or three examples (being one of the guys and hiking)
where he would expect a blind to prove themselves. I would want someone
to prove themselves to me in those situations, but not because they're
disabled. To prove that someone's a just one of the guys, I'd want her
to be friendly, outgoing, caring, empathetic, and all the other
qualities we look for in friends. As for hiking, I'd want someone to
prove to me that they can handle an urgent situation because all
outdoors people need to be able to do so. I'd want that person to prove
their outdoorsmanship because those are the skills required. And
frankly, I could care less how said disalbed person does it so long as
I know they can. Presumably, if someone says, "I've been an outdoors
person for 30 years," I don't need them to prove to me that they can do
it. I would not, however, require an individual to prove to me that
they're capable based on blindness alone.

I think that Arielle's right. A person who has never met a blind person
has two options. They can start believing that a blind person can do
anything they can do, or they can start by believing that a blind
person is considerably limited based on blindness alone. Or, if you're
like my friend Ani, you come with no expectations at all and don't
expect to be educated just because he's a sighted person. Instead, he
figures the educational process will just happen naturally when it
needs to happen and he's comfortable having me do things or letting me
do things even if he doesn't know exactly how I'm going to do them.
Such an arrangement has worked for us. He also has some limitations of
his own. I also just take it as it comes and let him educate me on his
strengths and needs as necessary. Ideally, that's how I'd like it to
work, and it has for us. When it ever becomes necessary for us to
discuss our strengths and limitations, we just do it. Neither of us
expects that the other will be limited based on our physical
characteristics. Instead, we let the other communicate to us what their
needs are. If nothing's mentioned, then it's probably not a problem.

Does any of that make sense?

Respectfully Submitted