[nabs-l] [Nfb-or] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 19:56:55 UTC 2009

Alena,

You ask a thought-provoking question.  In an idealized world, I think
you're right that it really should be both.  Unfortunately, we don't
life in one.  The view of the NFB is generally that the blind must
adapt to the world, so long as the world isn't trying to prevent us
from doing so.  There's three good reasons for that:

First, it is a realistic perspective.  People with disabilities
comprise about 10% of the population, and specific adaptations for
specific disabilities affect even smaller groups.  Some are happy to
adapt, but others resent the implication that they should have to
change anything to suit us.  The opposing view may win lawsuits, but
hearts and minds are not so easily won.

Second, this view provides us with dignity, and more than a little
pride.  We know that equality means treatment that is no different
from that of anyone else—no extra breaks, but also no extra barriers.
While we recognize that sometimes we have to accept the former to
offset the latter, our preference is not to.  If we can maintain our
dignity by working a little harder so that we need not accept
something that may be regarded as a special favor, we will.  I'll
take up this point in particular in another message.

Third, it gives us the right to a certain amount of respect.  We do
not always get it, but we demand a certain amount of common respect
from sighted people.  Adapting to the world makes our case for such a
demand a little stronger.  Because we adapt to the world, we compete
with sighted people on their own terms.  As such, we demonstrate that
we deserve the same respect anyone else would be given.  We are not
second-class citizens.  We are not defective people.  We are not
useless eaters.

There are barriers in the world for blind people.  Some are natural.
Many are artificial.  We know that we can rise to overcome these
barriers with tenacity and creativity, and we do it often.  We often
ask for nothing more than the opportunity to do so, if we can find
the means.

Unfortunately, the real shape of prejudice and "ableism" is that when
we start to overcome these barriers, there are some out there who try
to create new barriers for us.  This is usually when you see the NFB
start to expect the world to change.  It's one thing for a blind
person to find himself or herself unable to overcome the barriers
that exist.  It's quite another for the blind person to be prevented
from having an honest chance to try.

I generally agree with this outlook because it gets results, and I am
very much a results-oriented person.  I'll come back to the second
reason in a reply.

Joseph