[nabs-l] Custodializm and sighted=blind interactions

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat Jun 20 03:54:55 UTC 2009

Listers:

I consider myself to have excellent cane travel skills, and I feel that
my skills are self evident when I walk alone or when others walk with
me regardless of whether they are blind or sighted. Ordinarily, I
choose to converse with my friends and simply walk beside them because
that's what's convenient for me. If I feel the desire or necessity to
take an arm, I'll ask for it, and my friends (blind or sighted) don't
mind. Usually, I take an arm when it's rediculously crowded or
something like that.

Before I received cane travel lessons at the LCB, I didn't always feel
so confident and competent, especially in places where my vision wasn't
as effective as I would have liked. I might have been more willing to
take an arm under those circumstances provided that I couldn't see some
part of them and follow those cues instead. When I was with my blind
friends, especially my NFB blind friends, I felt comfortable stretching
out and experiencing the fullness of my blindness skills. I knew I
could trust them not to laugh at me if I made a mistake. I knew that I
could trust them to be patient enough to offer on-the-spot lessons if
necessary, and I knew they'd be patient enough to give me cues to
follow so I could follow them and really get the fullest experience out
of independent movement. As for them, they may have been frustrated,
impatient, and the like. But the thing is that they didn't show it.
Instead, they seemed to realize how important it was for me to strike
out on my own, and it was because of their patience that I got a taste
of what I could expect should I decide to go through an appropriate
course in cane travel. Also, I could learn through doing and observing
how they interacted with the environment. As a side note, it always
struck me that the leaders of my non-NFB blind groups tended to have
some vision. In the NFB blind groups, it didn't matter. Often, the best
and most confident leaders in our group had no vision at all or had no
real travel vision to speak of. It was through their example that I
understood in a real way that vision really doesn't matter. As a
result, I still feel safe traveling with other NFB-ers. i can make a
mistake, I can learn and grow even though I'm pretty confident and
competent already, and I can trust in their understanding and
encouragement should I need it.

On the same level, I hear where Jim is coming from. I have a blind
friend who isn't really interested in getting out there and enjoying
independent movement. If she was interested, she'd do it more than she
currently does with our without me. As it stands, she really doesn't
and so she isn't. when we travel together, I often take the lead
because I can orient better. Sometimes, I let her take the lead so she
can practice orienting, making decisions, and acting on them through
movement in some direction or another. Sometimes, she makes bad
decisions about when to cross a street, and she often wanders out in
the middle of nowhere because she's trying to see what she really can't
and doesn't have the blindness skills to compensate. Sure, I get
frustrated because it takes her twenty minutes to walk to some place
that I can reach in five. But, I try not to let it show for the same
reasons my nFB mentors didn't let it show. I understand that it's not
all about me, my convenience, getting some place, or any of that.
Sometimes, it's about letting go and letting the less experienced
actually get some experience so they can hopefully become more
confident and competent.

Too often, we blind people aren't given the chance to stretch our wings
because, to be honest, many sighted people feel its their
responsibility to help and take care of us be it out of kindness or
just a desire to get it done faster. That's the value of experiences
like walking with an NFB friend who understands that I need to stretch
out as much as they do, especially in an environment like Convention
for example. From where I'm standing, it's always felt to me like
there's an unspoken understanding that since we're not exactly in the
real world, why not get out and explore our talents and sharpen our
skills? On a much smaller level, I try to foster that sense of
understanding even when I'm with only one NFB blind friend. In most
cases, it really doesn't matter how long it takes to get to the grocery
store. What matters is what happens between the time we leave my
friend's house and when we get there. Does that make sense?

Respectfully,
Jedi