[nabs-l] Comparing Braille Embossers

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 21:47:43 UTC 2009

They all work in Linux.  It's just a matter of knowing how to send
stuff to them.  Most will emboss a properly formatted BRF directly.
Graphics aren't widely supported.

ETC's embossers had Classic MacOS support, but I didn't see support
for modern Macs.  Index supports the Mac directly through their
iBraille software.  I don't know about other embossers.

Of course, like Linux, Macs use the Common UNIX Printing System
(CUPS) and you can set up an embosser much the same way you would on
a Linux system.  I doubt you'd be able to print to it from most
applications, however, unless there's specific driver support for the
Mac.

Joseph