[nabs-l] first convention

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 01:38:28 UTC 2009

Kristina,
I am also attending my first convention. There is indead alot of stuff on the agenda. What I did to make the agenda less daunting was to copy and paste it into a Microsoft Word document, and then I deleted everything that I knew I did not want to attend. It turns out that that whole agenda can be whittled down to 4-6 relevant and interesting things per day. For me, there were two challenges. The first being choosing between two conflicting events, and the second being choosing between attending a serious event (such as a seminar) vs. a fun event (dance, play, recreation). I think I had a harder time choosing to participate in the fun events because, to me, this convention may be a once in a lifetime oppertunity, theirfore, I feel I should spend my time learning as much as possible. I bet as the convention proceeds, I will find myself wanting to take a break from all the seriousness, and I will probably want to attend a fun event.

Jim

"From compromise and things half done,
Keep me with stern and stubborn pride,
And when at last the fight is won,
... Keep me still unsatisfied." --Louis Untermeyer