[nabs-l] Cane grip and hand, wrist, forearm pain

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 05:05:35 UTC 2009

Jim,

Sorry for the thread necromancy...

If you're going to Detroit this year, look me up.  I had to develop
some custom cane techniques while I was in Colorado, and I till use
them sometimes when the weather and terrain call for them.  Start
learning to use that cane in both hands, and invest in a good soft
ice pack while you're learning.

It sounds like you're using a heavier graphite/aluminum golf grip
cane.  I think you mentioned elsewhere that it folds.  I'll bet
anything that if you're used to moving around without a cane, at
speed, it's too short for you.

Unfortunately, the Independence Market is clearing out what stock it
has of 50/50 canes--they had a few design flaws, and the design was
never improved.  That means your choices for NFB canes are rigid
(which can take creativity to figure out what to do with it when
you're not using it), or the telescopic models.  The latter don't
take a whole lot of abuse, and I don't recommend them for a
heavy-handed cane user.

I use mostly the rigid model, even though you won't find a much
lighter hand than I use.

Joseph