[nabs-l] Do you find this offensive?

Nicole B. Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Wed Mar 4 04:46:28 UTC 2009

I've been reading and thinking. In this particular context, that is, meant
as a joke, it's fine. No, it's not in another context, and I'm not saying
that it should be treated as if it was, but what if it was in another
context?  If it was somewhere else, I would find it offensive.  The idea of
looking at someone, particularly when they are talking to you, is something
that sighted people expect and, in my opinion, a skill that people who are
blind should try to acquire as part of fitting in socially.

On a brighter note...
This reminds me of a very funny "You're not looking at me story" that
happened to me with, believe it or not, a gorilla. My family and I were
visiting the San Diego zoo, and I was using one of those information devices
that looks kind of like a wireless phone. Anyways, I had sat down on the
ledge in front of the gorilla area with my back to the glass.  One of the
not quite fully grown gorillas noticed that I was not looking at them.  It
came up behind me and banged on the glass beside my head.  Of course, I did
not know what was going on until my mom told me.

Nicole