[nabs-l] Humor and Blindness Revelations

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Fri Mar 6 01:30:49 UTC 2009

Hi Arielle,

Remember how I was considering to respond to that blind poem/joke with a
poem of my own? Well, a prominent faculty member at the college asked me
to not respond with humor. This faculty member has a disability and
explained that there were several instances at the college when s/he
tried to use humor to ease the acceptance of the disability, but this
humor was not taken well and had a negative result. I haven't asked the
faculty member about the details. The faculty member believes the
college is not ready to handle disabilities with humor, and they're
planning to ask the college newspaper to demystify blindness by
interviewing the blind students on campus.  Since I respect this person
and hardly cared about that comment, I asked the college newspaper to
cancel my submission. So, there's one example of a disabled person
finding the use of humor to be unsuccessful. I think humor has been
successful for me at certain times, but I can't remember any particular
instances right now.

Best,
Haben