[nabs-l] Bookshare books not opening

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 22:26:45 UTC 2009

I just realized that Bookshare erroneously tells you to download and
use The Unarchiver with their books.  Totally unnecessary--but it's a
useful tool, so I'll explain how to set it up.

The way you use The Unarchiver is to drop it in your Applications
directory and run it.  This will bring up its preferences dialog box,
allowing you to decide what to use it on.

In the Archive Formats tab, find the Select All button and press it.
There's a list of archive formats above that, and I suggest
deselecting everything between Gzip File and UNIX Compress Tar
Archive.  The Mac can handle those itself, and there's a small bug in
The Unarchiver.

Close that, then just open the archives you want to decompress.
They'll appear in a folder of the same name as the zip file, right
next to it.  (You need not install The Unarchiver to do this with a
zip file, though.)

Joseph