[nabs-l] Racism in Blind History

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 06:03:28 UTC 2009

I've been doing research on the dynamics of guide dog partnerships for
an anthropology class, and came across a really interesting passage. In
Peter Putnam's book, Love in the Lead: The Miracle of The Seeing Eye
Dog, I came across this fascinating statement: "As late as the 1950's,
an association for the blind in a Southern city was posting sighted
monitors at the doors to its Christmas party in order to segregate the
blind guests who could not see each other's color" (Putnam 106).

Race is in some ways a very visual thing. There's a myth out there that
blind people will not judge other's by their appearance. Through Putnam
I've learned that some gatherings of blind people in the South have had
sighted monitors to ensure the segregation of the colorblind
participants. In such racist environments, it occurs to me that some of
those blind people probably requrested the assistance of sighted people
to uphold segregation... Gosh, here's a whole dimension of racism my
high school teachers never dwelt on! What did racism mean to a blind
person in, say, 1940s Burmingham? In that setting and time, were the
dialects of the blacks and whites so similar that a blind person needed
a sighted person to monitor segregation?

After reading that one statement in Putnam's book, I realized I know
very little about racism in the history of blind organizations. If any
of you have more information on this topic, please let me know.

Best,
Haben