[nabs-l] Racism in Blind History

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Mar 16 10:13:19 UTC 2009

Wow. I'm glad you asked.

You're absolutely right in believing that the blind are no less likely
to be racist than the sighted. I've been wondering the same thing you
have been. I've been curious to know our organization's history in
terms of race as well as sex. I also think that it would be prudent to
think about LGBT issues, too. All of these are important since no blind
people ever came in one shape, size, color, sexual orientation, sex,
etc. We're just as diverse as the next group, and we'll need to foster
appreciation for those differences if everyone is to be heard and
counted. I won't lie here. You could be treading on some thin ice here,
but I'm glad for it since this conversation, in my opinion, is very
needed. After all, we can't know where we're going in this regard until
we know our past, just like any other society here on Earth.