[nabs-l] ScanSnap

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 01:07:15 UTC 2009

Domonique,  I'd be getting the Mac version, so I wouldn't be using
the Windows ScanSnap Manager or Organizer.  On the Mac, the software
is a little less advanced, so you pretty much have to stitch together
your own software workflow.  If you're doing that as a blind person,
obviously you'll do it using components that are accessible.

That option exists for Windows too--but since the Windows version has
slightly more advanced software such as ScanSnap Organizer, there's
less need to build a custom workflow.  That's totally fine, since on
the Mac there are a number of tools that serve that function by
providing databases for PDF files.  Plus we've got AppleScript to
chain together more complex workflows and Automator to make
AppleScript something any user can do pretty easily.

The latest desktop model (S1500 or S1500M) works on Windows or Mac
without hacks--if I get that one, I'll install the Windows ScanSnap
Manager and ScanSnap Organizer and see how they work with Window
Eyes.  I don't have JAWS, and my Window Eyes version is far from
current at this point.

Joseph