[nabs-l] graduation ceremony

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 5 15:14:17 UTC 2009

Hi Serena,

Was your guide someone from university staff?  My dss person also brought up
seating although it was as a question and I did not feel forced to comply.
She asked me if I wanted to sit in the section reserved for people with
disabilities.  I'd be closer to the stage then.  Of course I said I'd rather
sit with the rest of the graduating class.

I think I'll have a guide from the university.  Its going to be stressful
enough walking in front of thousands and in front of the president of the
university.  If I had an opportunity to practice walking, I wouldn't need
one.  But I don't.  This is an unfamiliar stage and place.

Were you able to walk single file with the rest of the graduates to the
stage or were you guided there too?

Can you believe my family put pressure on me to let my brother whose a
graduate of the school assist me during the ceremony?  I'd much rather have
a guide because walking with a family member just isn't right.  I think it
would look like I'm being taken care of.  I'm not the greatest traveler as I
don't have a good sense of direction, but I have used a cane since childhood
and have improved my skills.  I hope my family doesn't see me as so helpless
that I need one of them to help me during an important ceremony.

Ashley