[nabs-l] A moral question

Linda Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Sat May 9 08:58:10 UTC 2009

Jim,

I'm not leadership persee, but I am part of the organization, so I'll
throw in my two cents.

It depends to me on whether the person has relatively stable vision,
or whether there is a good chance that person's vision will
deteriorate.  If the person's vision is relatively stable (meaning you
have retained the same level of vision for years and that level is not
likely to radically change, then the line becomes blurry.  If by
having enough vision to suffice, you mean that the person will not
behave in socially unacceptable manners e.g trailing one's hand across
the wall, then I would say that no, the person does not have a moral
obligation to bring the cane.  If, however, even with stable vision,
without the cane, you will conduct yourself in a manner which is not
socially acceptable you have both a moral obligation and an obligation
to yourself to bring the cane, since bringing the cane will keep you
from committing actions which may jepordize your chances.

If your vision is not stable and may deteriorate, no matter what your
current vision level is, you always have the moral obligation to bring
a cane.  To me, this is a matter of giving your boss an impression of
having abilities you may not have in the future.  You may still be
able to complete the same tasks with adaptations.  However, your boss
will be expecting the completion of those tasks with the aid of your
vision, and when the vision is no longer available, the boss may feel
you have deceived them.  Whether you believe you did so or not, if the
boss believes so, you will have been broken.
I hope this begins to answer your question.
Courtney