[nabs-l] Petition: Elimination of Background Checks due to Budget Cuts

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat May 9 09:12:20 UTC 2009

It goes something like this...

I am some random person, either an official of some kind, a banker, a
lawyer, a widow, or something.  I am writing to you about an
arbitrary large amount of money with lots of zeroes as a number
(repeated as words in parentheses).  Please help me do this good deed
and help yourself in the process.  Contact me at this phone number
(which I won't mention is a disposable mobile phone..)

You do, and they get you to authorize bank transfers and there's a
small fee that will be deducted from your account.  Your life's
savings, essentially.

Congratulations, sucker, someone conveniently outside US jurisdiction
just ripped you off and is laughing all the way to the bank where
they quickly shift the money around a bit so it cannot be recovered
by the time you manage to do something about it.

Many variants exist because the original was so formulaic that even
though the "story", currency, and value constantly changed, people
wrote programs (and not even terribly smart programs) to spot one of
these things a mile away.  The original message kind of resembles a
419 message.  (419 is the country code for calling Nigeria, by the
way, though modern variants purport to be from many countries.)

Joseph