[nabs-l] A moral question

hannah sparklylicious at suddenlink.net
Sat May 9 17:06:03 UTC 2009

I think if a person has a vision impairment and needs a cane
sometime or uses one, then they should bring it with them to a
job interview because one never knows what's going to happen.
For example they might be expected to read or write something and
the person only has enough vision for large print, but the people
didn't know it, then the person might not be hired.  Also if a
person brings their cane with them beforehand, then the people
would know how to assist because if a visually impaired person
was hired and the coworkers didn't know that the person had a
disability, then it might cause difficulties.  If a person needs
a cane, then they should bring it during important events in
their life such as a job interview because it shows that that
person is honest and capable.  Also it shows that the person is
professional.  Anyways those are my thoughts from what I've
gathered.

vision to suffice without it.  Would it be moral for that person
to not take his/her cane into a job interview for the purposes of
hidiinf a disability until after a job offer is made?

>Think discrimination laws vs lying vs.  Dr.  Jernigan's "The
Nature of Independence" (By having the blindness training, you
retain the option to choose between methodologies).

>I'd be particularly curious to hear how our leadership would
answer this question.