[nabs-l] Training: As needed, or all at once?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue May 12 22:01:53 UTC 2009

Ashley,

No attack from me.  Disagreement, sure.  The best time to get
training is before you enter the workforce.  Once you have a job, you
are going to have financial responsibilities and training will get in
the way.  If you get them while you're young, your job prospects are
going to be better.

I use the skills I learned every day.  Oh I don't work in a shop, but
I use what I learned about safety in the shop everywhere else.  I
don't read Braille daily and my speed has dropped down to a paltry 40
words per minute, but I know I can have it back any time I need it.

I use the skills I learned for working with screen readers to reduce
my dependency on the mouse.  I work much faster because of it.

I can tell you what the traffic patterns are two blocks away through
my open window.  I never used to pay attention to the fact that there
were traffic patterns until I got to an intersection.  (Thank you
Eric Woods!)

Every day the little things that I now can do things without burying
my nose against them, all because of the skills I got in Colorado.
Since you're talking about people with lots of stable vision, do you
have any idea what such a person looks like doing visual tasks?
Record yourself on video sometime and watch it.  It's not flattering,
and it will cause you to want to not look like that.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you.  Get what you need when you
need it, and do what works.  But it's not a perfect world.  We have
responsibilities and others' perceptions to deal with.  That changes
things a bit, to my mind.

Joseph