[nabs-l] High school outreach

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Wed May 13 21:55:03 UTC 2009

I love the idea of a mentoring program like the one you guys are talking
about. I think, however, that these programs are best handled by the
individual state divisions. How can NABS encourage the states to put
something like this together?
	Just thinking about California, and how we could best enact this
plan. The first thing we would need is a list of all the colleges and
universities in the state, and how many blind students attend each one. Then
we would have to contact these students and, maybe also offering them some
incentive, determine whether or not they would be willing to participate in
the program. Then we would need to compile a database of the people who are
willing. Once that is done, we market, market, market the program to high
school juniors and seniors throughout the state. When high schoolers are in
need of a mentor, they contact us, we pair them with someone, and then
follow up with both parties to make sure all is going well.
	What do you guys think?
Angela