[nabs-l] high school out reach

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Thu May 14 22:36:59 UTC 2009

Angela,
You make it sound so simple ! (grin) Your plan makes sense, except I disagree with you on making it a state thing. What if a high schooler from North Dakota wanted to go check out USC? Now do you see the value of a national program? One solution may be to combine individual state databases into a larger national database.

I am really suprised, I did not think my idea would have generated so much interest. I am excited for the possibilities...

Jim

    "Just thinking about California, and how we could best enact this
plan. The first thing we would need is a list of all the colleges and
universities in the state, and how many blind students attend each one. Then
we would have to contact these students and, maybe also offering them some
incentive, determine whether or not they would be willing to participate in
the program. Then we would need to compile a database of the people who are
willing. Once that is done, we market, market, market the program to high
school juniors and seniors throughout the state. When high schoolers are in
need of a mentor, they contact us, we pair them with someone, and then
follow up with both parties to make sure all is going well.
    What do you guys think?
Angela"

Homer Simpson's brain: "Use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Oh, that sounds too complicated."
 Homer's brain: "Okay, don't use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Okay, I will!"